갤러리일호 전시 보러가기 http://www.galleryilho.com

* 전시제목: 임휴展

* 참여작가: 임휴

* 전시기간: 1월 27일 (수) ~ 2월 5일 (금)

* 관람시간: 10:00 ~ 18:00. 

* 전시장소: 서울시 종로구 와룡동 68, 갤러리일호 

<전시 소개>

책을 만났다. 색을 만나고 사람을 만났다. 그래서 잠시 쉬어갈 수 있었다.  -임 휴

I encountered books. I encountered colors and people. So I can take a short break. 

또 다른 나를 만났다 - 결혼은 나에게 함정과도 같았다. 조금만 주의를 기울였으면 빠지지 않을 수 도 있었을 텐데…라는 생각을 매일 매일 이불처럼 덮고 살았다. 그러던 어느 날부터 인가 나는 조금씩 이해하기 시작했다. 결혼은 함정이 아니라 내가 미처 알지 못했고 만나고 싶지 않았던 또 다른 나와의 직면을 촉진시켜준 매개체임을… 

Encounter with another me. For me, marriage was like some kind of trap. For a long time, I kept thinking that I could have avoided the trap if I’d been a little more careful, and each day I wrapped myself in that thought like a big blanket. But then one day I began to realize, little by little, that my marriage was not a trap; it was a catalyst forcing me to confront another me who I didn’t know and didn’t want to meet. 

이 분들의 노년을 만났다. - 노년을 맞이한다는 것은 늙는다는 것만은 아닐 것이다. 그들에게 빠져나간 젊음이 누군가의 젊음 안에 녹아들어 또 다른 모습으로 자라고 있을지도 모른다. 이 분들이 젊음의 열정으로 뿌린 양분으로 나는 지금도 성장하고 있다. 

Encounter with old age. Facing old age is not simply a matter of aging. The youth that dissipates from them might trickle into someone else, and eventually grow into something different. I’m still growing from all the nutrients I’ve ingested from the passions of other people’s youth.

아이들과의 만남 - 지금까지 내가 살아온 시간을 둘로 나눈다면 나는 아이를 낳기 전과 낳은 후로 나누고 싶다. 내 아이를 키우기 전까지는 아이에 대해 잘 알지 못했다. 몰랐기에 불편하고 싫은 존재였다. 사람들은 말했다. 아이들은 스펀지 같은 존재라서 무엇이든 받아들일 수 있으므로 부모 하기 나름이다. 라고…나도 그런 줄 알았다. 하지만 아이와 함께 성장통을 겪는 동안 아이는 부모가 계획해서 만들어 가는 존재가 아닌 그 모습 그대로 인정받아야 하는 독립적인 존재라는 것을 조금씩 이해하기 시작했다. 나는 갓 태어난 아이가 그들이 말하는 것처럼 무엇이든 그릴 수 있는, 아무것도 그려져 있지 않은 상태로 태어난다면 그 바탕색이 흰색의 백지만은 아닐 것이라고 생각한다. 같은 바탕의 색을 가진 아이가 과연 존재할 수 있을까? 나는 모든 아이들은 모두 다른 바탕색을 가지고 있다는 것을 매 순간 느낀다. 지금 나와 생각을 같이 하는 사람이라면 바탕색이 모두 다른 아이들에게 한 가지 색으로 찍어내듯 그림을 그리려 하는 어리석은 행동은 여기서 멈출 수 있을지도 모른다. 

Encounter with children. If I had to divide my life into two parts, it would be before and after the birth of my children. Before raising my own kids, I didn’t know much about children. Due to my lack of knowledge, children were these irritating little beings that I didn’t like. It’s often said that children are like little sponges, soaking up everything, so they directly reflect their parents. That’s what I used to think too. But once I began to experience firsthand the growing pains of my own kids, I realized how wrong those statements are. Children are not a model that their parents plan and assemble; children exist independently, and they must be treated as such. Some people think that a newborn baby is like a blank piece of paper where anything can be written. But I don’t think those pieces of paper are always white in color. In fact, I don’t think any two children have the same background color―they are all different. If people could just agree on this, we could stop foolishly trying to draw with the same color against these backgrounds of all different colors.

묶음의 밖 - 어느 날 나는 의문이 들었다. 사람은 누구나 개인의 사생활을 침해당하는 것을 싫어하며 자기만의 영역을 지키고자 하면서도 왜 자꾸 어떠한 장치를 통해 서로를 묶으려고 하는가? 이제는 호기심과 집단에 대한 호감으로 시작된 묶음으로부터 자유로워지는 것도 용기가 필요하다. 

Encounter with the space beyond our bindings. No one likes for their own privacy to be infringed, and we all want to protect our own territory. So then why do we keep trying to bind one another with new devices, systems, or technology? It takes courage to free ourselves from the voluntary bindings of any certain group, especially when the group makes us feel curious or content.

이성이 만난다는 것- 사랑하는 두 사람이 만났을 때 그들은 상대의 부족한 부분을 나만이 채울 수 있다고 생각하거나 내가 갖고자 하는 것을 이미 가진 상대방에게 호감을 느끼며 사랑을 하게 된다. 하지만 곧 그들은 서로에게 왜 나와 같지 않느냐며 분노한다. 

Encounter with the opposite sex. When two people meet and fall in love, they both feel that they alone can fill in the missing part of the other. Or sometimes love begins when we’re attracted to a person who seems to have whatever it is that we wish we had. But soon enough, we begin to resent our partner for failing to be the same as us. 

만남을 위한 작업의 과정 - 오늘 내가 그려야 할 선이 무엇인지 알기 위해 완성작인 그림을 찾으러 다닐 때가 있었다. 그 완성작품이 어떤 그림인지 아직 보지 못해서 어떤 선부터 그어야 할 지 모르겠다고 생각했다. 지금 당장 어떠한 선도 그을 수 없었기에 무기력과 싸워야 했다. 하지만 안타깝게도 내가 찾고 있는 그 완성작품은 세상 어디에도 존재하지 않는다는 것을 우울의 끝에서 알게 되었다. 내가 찾던 완성작품에 필요한 선을 오늘 그어야 하는 것이 아니고 오늘 선 하나를 그어야 그림이 시작된다는 것을…이 시작이 어떤 그림으로 완성될 지 지금은 알 수 없다. 다만 더 이상 선을 그을 수 없는 날 만나게 되는 그림이 내가 그토록 찾아 헤매던 그 완성작품일 것이다. 백지가 아니길… 수 많은 선들이 조화롭게 그어져 있기를… 그리고 내 의지로 그었기를… 

Creative process for the encounter. I used to try to surmise the finished painting in order to know which lines to draw. I thought if I didn’t know what the finished painting looked like, then I couldn’t possibly know which lines to begin with. So I often couldn’t draw any lines at all, and I had to fight against lethargy and helplessness. But eventually I understood that the completed work that I was seeking didn’t exist, unfortunately. At the end of my depression, I realized that, instead of searching for the lines that I thought were required to match the completed work, I needed to remember that a painting can only begin from one single line, right now. Of course, I have no idea what kind of painting will emerge from this beginning. But at least I know that the completed work that I’ve been searching for is the painting that I will encounter on the day I cannot draw any more lines. I hope that it’s not blank…I hope many lines are drawn harmoniously…I hope that the lines are drawn by my free will… 

<작가 약력>

임휴 Yim Hue

국민대학교 테크노디자인전문대학원

전남대학교 서양화 전공

2015. 3 그리고展 (갤러리일호)

2001. 4 SALONE INTERNAZIONALE DEL MOBILE, Salone satelllite 2001(Milano)

1996.-2003. 박물관 전시기획 및 연출디자이너로 활동

현재 <호기심이 미술로 샘솟다> 미술작업실 운영

최상단으로